Saturday, September 15, 2012

Learning & Coaching

Every now and again I think of my role as a coach, and the role of a coach in general for the learner of tennis. Being a teacher in school, it's important for me to reflect on my practices, but seldom do I reflect on my experiences as a coach. Because coaches aren't perfect either.

I first look back at how wonderful a job my parents did as my coaches, through the tears and fights and sweat, that made me a champion, and that continues to make my mindset and work ethic stand out from amongst my peers in many aspects of my life. I think about the passion they have for tennis, and the passion they vicariously instilled in me.

I think about what I've done as a coach, the students that I've taught, the shots I've made better, and I realize it's so much more than a shot or the game of tennis, just like in the classroom it's so much more than a novel or a good poem.

So I've complied a list. You know I love lists. But this list isn't just for you, it's reminder for me also, a reminder for me that I coach for a reason bigger than myself, and I hope one day it'll be a reminder for others who are in charge of children's learning and growing, so that they will always come out as a positive role model in someone's life.

Here it is; the list. A coach:

1. inspires a child to play tennis.
2. motivates; it's always easy to motivate a good player or a well-behaved child. But it is the one who struggles and who may have outbursts that needs the most motivation.
3. teaches discipline and routine; the child learns what is expected of them and what consequences await them if they do not follow through. Many believe that this may be strict or unfair, but it reality it gives kids wanted structure.
4. says the right thing at the right time, even if that right thing is saying nothing at all.
5. is a good listener.
6. is a role model at all times.
7. supports not just the player, but also his or her family and support system, and helps steer that support system to be a positive influence in the player's game.
8. notices the little things, whether it be a new haircut or a child's deteriorating attitude.
9. just once throughout the day, makes the child smile, and reminds them that tennis isn't everything.
10. is positive the majority of the time, and only negative when absolutely necessary.
11. let's the little things go.
12. loves what they do.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment